Denise Goldberg's blog

So near and yet so far away
An exploration of western Nova Scotia

Thursday, September 7, 2006

Turning in circles

Yarmouth to Cape Forchu Lighthouse and back again

Feet and wheels on a solid surface once again, my first task was to find my home for the night. When I made my B&B reservation and told my hostess that I would be arriving on the ferry today, she offered me the an early check-in to allow me to bike around the area unencumbered. What a nice treat.

The sky was still gray, but the clouds were high flying. The wind was a little bit nippy, so my wind vest jumped onto my back for the afternoon. I headed out to see Cape Forchu lighthouse, and as I got closer to the light the fog started to roll in. I passed working boats and dock areas, around a curve, up and down a hill, and on to the end of the road. Where's the light? It was shrouded in fog. It was just barely visible, and angle from my position (on the ground) to the top of the lighthouse didn't allow me to actually see the bright light. Maybe I'm just not destined to see lighthouses in clear weather - my vision of these structures on my recent trips seems to be shrouded in clouds or fog.

My very short riding day today gave me a calm start to this trip. Tomorrow I start to travel. I'm still not sure of where my destination will be, but I'm not sure that the end point really matters. Rolling along the road on my bike, soaking in the scenery, playing with my camera, thinking, relaxing, that's what matters.

Guest-Lovitt House is my home for the night. My room is very comfortable, with the added touch of a private balcony off the back of the house, and my bike is happily locked in the garage for the night. The house is beautiful, and is very much enhanced by Twyla, my gracious hostess. It was a great place for a relaxing afternoon and evening, and it had the added benefit of having a choice of restaurants within walking distance. Dinner tonight was at Chez Bruno, a restaurant that I would gladly visit again. Fish chowder and broccoli quiche was tonight's choice. Yum.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring...