Denise Goldberg's blog

So near and yet so far away
An exploration of western Nova Scotia

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A look back

...at a successful non-planned tour

Twelve days in Nova Scotia was enough to give me a taste of the province, and enough to convince me that more trips there are in my future. There is beauty there in both the scenery and in the people. My camera was very happy with the views, and I was delighted with the friendliness of everyone I spoke with.

I absolutely will visit Nova Scotia again, accompanied by my cameras, and rolling down the road on my bicycle. There are areas that I want to explore by foot or kayak, and I suspect I'll want the assistance of a motorized vehicle when I go back to see the Cabot Trail (which sports the type of grades that I'm not fond of riding) - but I can't imagine a trip there where my bicycle stays home. I know that I will ride there again.



The route that I actually followed as I wandering in Nova Scotia. And you're absolutely right, this doesn't match any of the possible routes that I'd sketched out before I left home. I'm glad that I explored the area from afar (via books and web sites), but I'm also happy that I let my desires of the moment dictate my wanderings. It was a wonderful trip.

Yellow line = ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth (and back)
Pink line = the loop route that my bike & I actually followed
Green line = a side trip using a fossil-fuel-powered vehicle + my feet

Map courtesy of (and copyright by) maps.google.com.
Published here per Google Maps Terms and Conditions